Thursday 15 September 2011

Sneaky armchair ticking

The Wychwood Moths garden list sneaked up by two last week thanks to a couple of moths that I took from the trap samples during July.
A particularly rufous looking minor that I collected was dissected by Andy Banthorpe and revealed to actually be a male Rufous Minor as I had hoped; unfortunately I cannot locate a photo I think I took at the time of collection. Previously in June I had collected a small sample of typical individuals and had equivalent numbers of Marbled and Tawny Marbled. So with the set complete, all of next years adults are safe from the freezer ! - was in the name of the scientific record as well as the list of course.
Similarly I collected a limited sample of five Common Rustic agg including two small and dark examples. Dissection revealed three male Common and two male Lesser Common Rustic.
Thanks Andy! 220 jumps to double Nelson 222 despite the windy and often damp nights and a trap that has felt a bit neglected by moths for the last week.

Snout - surprising first for year on 10/Sep

Lesser Yellow Underwing - a peak of variety and numbers in the last couple of weeks

Centre-barred Sallow - new for year 8th Sept, a handful so far

No comments:

Post a Comment