Wednesday 18 September 2013

Micro interlude - a new species for VC30

I don't "do" micro-moths in the true sense of the word but I have a list of micros which includes a number of photos that have been built up over last couple of years to assess presence in the garden of those that are distinctive enough to be recognisable without a posthumous examination of the nether regions. Once I identified this one though I knew it was significant so will use it to open my account on micros on this blog.


1409a Diaphania perspectalis - Luton 30th August 2013, first for Bedfordshire
With a wingspan close to 40mm this was larger than many macro-moths in the trap

From VC30 Micromoth recorder, David Manning: This is a species first recorded in UK in 2008. It is a pest of Buxus (Box) and is presumed to have arrived via the horticultural trade [from Asia]. Recorded to date in eight counties, the most northerly being Herts, Bucks and Glos.

No comments:

Post a Comment